Surf House 7 mo 9 1858My dear son I am just in receipt of thy letter enclosing Dallas' answer to Thomas; & the lawyer's opinion against any attempt to limit the liability on the American claims. I suppose this [------] had better be [--------] in the channel mentioned in thy previous letter. It will require careful consideration as to the future conducting of your business. [Stress] of weather might place one of the ships within [------] of attack [----] tho' such an event is improbable. But so long as the liability exists you cannot be secure of trouble. I suppose Thomas will of course now return. But by what conveyance can he come? His next letter will no doubt inform us. If there was a probability of ships advancing in value the claimants might postpone the selling of the Tuscarora for some time to come. I think it quite remarkable so many claims have been held back. We are getting along comfortably & the Dr. & Mary I think will hardly fail to be benefitted. It would be pleasant to me if Julia could come down on 2nd day & take Clemmy's place for the few days we shall afterwards remain here. We saw
Copyright Notice: Please be aware that materials you find here are governed by U.S. copyright law, and that to reproduce them for any purpose other than study may be a violation of federal law. If you wish to reproduce materials for any other reason, please contact Haverford Special Collections for permission at HC-Special@haverford.edu.